Coastal Carolina wins the doubles point before teams split singles matches
GREENVILLE, NC March 31, 2013 – The East Carolina University men’s tennis team fell 4-3 to visiting Coastal Carolina Saturday afternoon.
Coastal Carolina took doubles point to start the match with victories at the No. 2 and 3 positions. Damien Brenard and John Schmitt fell 8-2 to Leo Christfields and John Karle at the second flight. Patriek Wolterbeek and Nicolas Soriano lost to Yusuke Kusuda and Ted Nilsson 8-3 at No. 3. Joran Vliegen and Colin Roller remained undefeated at the No. 1 position with an 8-1 victory over Garik Yedigarian and Matias Di Pasquale.
In singles, the Pirates got straight set wins at No. 1 where Vliegen beat Christofide 6-2, 6-0 and at No. 3 as Soriano topped Yedigarian 7-5, 6-4. At the six seed, Roller lost to Hunter Whalen 4-6 in the first set, but took the second set 6-4 before winning the third 6-3.
Kusuda defeated Schmitt 6-3, 6-4 at No. 2 and Nilsson beat Brenard 6-2, 6-2 at No. 4. The match was decided on court five which featured a three-set battle between Mario Martinez and Di Pasquale. Martinez fell 7-6 (4) in the first set, but rallied for a 6-1 win in the second set. Di Pasquale returned the favor in the third set with a 6-1 victory to clinch the match.
East Carolina 4, Coastal Carolina 3
1. Joran Vliegen (ECU) def. Leo Christofides (CCU) 6-2, 6-0
2. Yusuke Kusuda (CCU) def. John Schmitt (ECU) 6-3, 6-4
3. Nicolas Soriano (ECU) def. Garik Yedigarian (CCU) 7-5, 6-4
4. Damien Brenard (ECU) def. Ted Nilsson (CCU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Matias Di Pasquale (CCU) def. Mario Martinez (ECU) 7-6, 1-6, 6-1
6. Colin Roller (ECU) def. Hunter Whalen (CCU) 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
1. Joran Vliegen/Colin Roller (ECU) def. Garik Yedigarian/Matias Di Pasquale (CCU) 8-1
2. Leo Christofides/John Karle (CCU) def. Damien Brenard/John Schmitt (ECU) 8-2
3. Yusuke Kusuda/Ted Nilsson (CCU) def. Patriek Wolterbeek/Nicolas Soriano (ECU) 8-3